This outstanding estate was once a fortified country manor but has now been transformed into an extensive Villa located between the cities of Catania and Syracuse near to the Sicilian coast, This fascinating property has been in the San Giuliano family for more than 800 years and is immersed in an enchanting orange grove of 50 hectares (124 acres) with the majestic Etna volcano in the distance.
Add this property to your Wish List to request more information
As one enters the wrought iron gates an immediate welcome is given by a precious collection of cactus plants and an extraordinary exotic botanical garden designed by the late Marchese Giuseppe di San Giuliano. The garden is now part of the itinerary of Grand Italian Gardens and is often the focus of visitors travelling in Sicily.
The main villa, like the other estate structures, face the grand courtyard that is dominated by an enormous Ficus Magnoloide tree. A large vaulted living room on the ground floor of the Villa gives directly on to the main lawn offering an inviting place to relax outdoors while enjoying the marvelous botanical gardens.
The estate can accommodate up to 22 persons in a total of eleven bedrooms divided as follows:
The Villa offers five finely decorated and spacious double bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms. Another three double bedrooms with bathrooms look onto the courtyard.
The “Palazzetto” (“small palace”) has been recently restructured and offers a small apartment on two floors with living room on the ground floor and a bedroom with ensuite bathroom on the upper floor.
There are another two enchanting double bedrooms with twin beds sharing a bathroom called “Le Camerette” that are ideal for children and nanny.
All of the fine family furnishings are unique and the atmosphere of this historic Sicilian estate will enchant guests.
Villa Grande is not only a beautiful home but also an agricultural estate with citrus groves that provide many species of lemons, grapefruit, and oranges. An internal laboratory produces many types of handmade biscuits and marmalades using historic family recipes. A vegetable garden is also present that enriches the various menus available to guests.
- The Estate is situated on a property of 55 hectares of orange groves (135 acres)
- The Botanical Garden consists of 5 hectares (12 acres) with more than 500 species of plants
- Visitors of the Grand Italian Gardens are occasionally allowed to be accompanied by a guide.
- A vegetable garden is carefully tended throughout the year
- There are various locations for dining outdoors
- The large swimming pool measures 18 meters x 9 meters and has a saline filter system
- and there is a pool house with bathroom and shower.
- A large area for relaxing is equipped with sun beds.
- Tennis court
- Large wood burning oven for preparing pizza
Description of Interiors
- Large living room with fireplace and French windows giving onto the gardens
- Living room with satellite television
- Formal dining room for up to 18 guests
- Informal dining room for up to10 guests
- Eight double bedrooms each with private bathrooms, air conditioning and ceiling fans
- One apartment on two floors with double bedroom and bathroom
- Two children /nanny double bedrooms sharing one bathroom (these are without air conditioning)
- Large kitchen area
- Laundry facilities
Villa Grande has chosen to use renewable energy sources: the household electricity and that used by the cultivation of the citrus fruits is provided by three sun powered systems. LED light bulbs are used to reduce the use of energy. The vegetable garden provides to the villa kitchen. The household linens are washed and then let dry under natural conditions
- Daily housekeeping staff
- Chef and assistance for excellence in dining
- Laundry staff
- Garden and Pool staff
- Nearest village: 2 kilometers. 2 minutes
- Catania and airport: 40 kilometers 40 minutes
- Siracusa: 35 Kilometers. 30 minutes
- Noto 60 kilometers
- Taormina: 100 kilometers
- Mt Etna: 80 kilometers
- Piazza Armerina 125 kilometers